Friday, October 31, 2008

Connecting with others sure takes up a lot of time.

Thirty years ago the most cost effective and consistent means of keeping in touch with friends and family who lived miles apart was utilizing a postage stamp and some paper. I have fond memories of receiving letters and cards from my grandparents when I was very ill with Hepatitis. When I was a young teen my cousin Kathy and I wrote letters between California and Utah all the time. Some of the best were ones we called 'joke letters'. We would write amazing but believable happenings and then at the end of the letter declare it all a joke.
At some point the cost of a long distance phone call became affordable...say 15 to 20 cents a minute. Still the pen was cheaper. But it was fun to actually hear a persons voice and a phone call became more time efficient. Then cell phones and voice mail became a normal way of communication. Life and it's tasks left little time for even a person to person quick phone call. E-mailing took on a new role. That still meant you had to type out your words. For someone who didn't take typing until college and failed it on top of that- e-mail isn't all that quick. Yes the recipient receives it quickly, but it takes me a loooooooong time to spit the words out. But, you know, I sure receive a lot more e-mails than I ever received old fashioned letters. This system must be working well for a lot of people.
Now on to the topic I was originally intent on mentioning...
So now we are into an age of blogging. I think it is way cool. People write to whomever and I get to peek in on it. I get to know and understand about people who are important to me but who would think it silly to sit down and WRITE a letter to ME. I do not go to the mailbox at the end of my sidewalk to find letters addressed to Aunt Karen, Gramma Decker, co-worker or neighbor. I wouldn't normally take the time to call or write to friends from high school whom I have forgotten about, or to a friend of my child. But I do find it heart warming to click onto a blog written by these people and I get to see a glimpse into their lives. I get to know what they had for dinner, how the most recent exam went, what creepy things are crawling or growing in their homes. How work went, what the score is, and who they are or are not voting for. And sometimes I get to see them at their best and at their worst.
I love the clever words, the expressions of thoughts and convictions. I enjoy seeing the wonderful talents and abilities of others. I love seeing the good that is happening in the lives of people I love and care about. I love seeing families being families. I love seeing parents working at doing their best to teach and love little children. I am warmed when I hear truths being expressed and shared.
When I look at the clock and see how much time transpires as I read blogs and slowly type out my comments and replys I think "OMG, what am I doing with my time?" .
It does take a lot of time. But in actuality it is time well spent.
Thanks for taking the time to write YOUR thoughts, share your feelings, tell me of the mundane and post the pictures. I love it all.

6 comments:

Huntsmans said...

What a beautiful post! I loved reading that. We love you too Karen and are grateful you have jumped on the blogging band wagon!

Jake and Jessica Fillmore said...

Karen I know exactly what you mean. I feel like I can spend so much time blog hopping and before I know so much time has past. At the same time, my blog is kind of like my journal and I feel like I get to know people so much better by taking a peak into their thoughts and lives. Its pretty neat.

meggan said...

I love that you are blogging, it is such a great way to stay in touch with people! I think blogs are especially great when you know the bloggers because you can hear them saying the words written on their page.

Karen Decker said...

I love hearing the writers voice as I read their words. Have you ever heard their voice before you knew who it was written by? I have. Thats when you KNOW you know that person. Cool.

Life with Mark and Kristin said...

Thanks for helping me see blogging in a more positive light. I enjoy doing it, and I enjoy reading others blogs, but I still enjoy getting those hand written letters and phone calls more. I'm slow at transitioning. Thanks for helping me in that process.

DontYouWishYouWereUS said...

I love blogging also. I like that others that I love are blogging. I have never been in touch with such a variety of people before. I enjoy it very much. I love you. You are a big part of my life.